[mythtv-users] NTP drift...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 11:57:09 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/06 16:53, John Brooks wrote:
>
> > Hey, all. I noticed that, while my ntp-server service seems to be
> > doing its job for the most part, my clock seems to be about 51 seconds
> > (a not insignificant piece of time for recording) off from the comcast
> > time.
>
> The time one of my local HDTV stations broadcasts in its signal is >10
> minutes ahead the current time.  It wouldn't surprise me if Comcast's
> time is off.  And, remember, Comcast has a lot of "times":  the time on
> the "What's on now" channel, the time embedded in digital broadcast
> signal(s), the time it takes to encode a local SDTV channel for
> retransmission, the time it uses to schedule broadcasts.  Some of these
> are irrelevant, while others may impact the way you schedule recordings.

oddly enough, the one thing my Comcast seems to get right is the clock
on their STB display is within a few seconds of NTP time, which from
what I understand is retreived from the nuclear time clock network. So
my frontend LCD and my STB show the same time. Now if only I could get
the kitchen microwave clock to sync...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!