[mythtv-users] Entertainment hub

Jason fearthepenguin at jasonandjessi.com
Thu Oct 12 21:27:16 UTC 2006

I know that this is sort of covered in the FAQ (the answer is "doesn't
that defeat the purpose of a DVR?"), but I want to ask a few more
questions and gauge interest.   Myth has  become pretty much the
entertainment hub in my house.  It's amazing everything that it can do.
My AV rack has been cut down to an amp, myth and my game consoles.  I
would love to hook my gamecube up to one of my unused inputs on one of
my tuners and be able to switch to it with myth, but as my wife says,
it's pretty tricky playing crazy taxi with a 5 second lag.
So, to the question.  What would it take to implement a mode in mythtv
where the DVR functionality pretty much turns off and an input is
displayed realtime to the TV?  MythVideo can already play files using
mplayer, and mplayer can display live TV, so I'm thinking that a quick
hack to change a tuners input and crank on mplayer is all it would take.
I'm a microcontroller guy, but I know some C and I'm willing to try to
undertake this myself, but I wanted to pose the question in case their
are serious technical issue that would prevent this from working.

Thoughts?

--
Jason
The place where you made your stand never mattered,