[mythtv-users] ivtv driver went nuts...

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Oct 13 01:34:43 UTC 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 6:01 PM, James Pifer wrote:

> I'm already running 0.7.1 and I'm having problems. I'm thinking about
> stepping back and seeing if an earlier version of ivtv works out
> better.
> I had some recordings get hosed again today. It's getting very
> frustrating not really know what's causing the issue.
>
> The only problem with my old box was getting playback running well
> enough on my FX5200/TVOut. Otherwise recordings were rock solid, which
> was a great feeling. Right now I don't know whether they'll work, or
> when they will break. I also added a PVR150 which the old box didn't
> have, but I don't think that is a real problem.
>
> Here's my hdparm numbers, not sure if they are good or not.
>
> # hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing cached reads:   1332 MB in  2.00 seconds = 665.65 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  144 MB in  3.02 seconds =  47.64 MB/sec
>
> I think my hardware is plenty, except for the RAM. Not sure if adding
> another 512 (up to a gig) would be good or not. I see very little swap
> being used. Otherwise it's dual Xeon 1.8 ghz. I have a hard time
> believing that's not more than enough.
>
> James

I know what you mean. I went through the same frustrations then
suddenly stopped having the problem. I tried everything you did and
even tried swapping my cards around to see if there was an IRQ
resource conflict. I had 1.5GB RAM in my box when I was having the
problem, so I don't think that's it, either. What kernel are you
running? Maybe some weirdness with a particular kernel/ivtv pairing?