[mythtv-users] recordings cut off early especially when, watching recoding in progress

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 20:59:36 UTC 2006

On 14/10/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 16:00 +0100, Nick wrote:
> > On 14/10/06, McNally <mcnallychris at pobox.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Nick, thanks for the message. I will update ivtv to 0.7.1 as you suggest
> > > since it does fix a DMA error.
> > > I should have some opportunity to test it this weekend. Meanwhile I did make
> > > this change:
> > >
> > > MythTV Front end setup
> > > changed it to libmpeg2 (might be faster on some AMD processors)
> > Note that making this change will stop the Internal media player from
> > playing many non-MPEG2 media files. The standard decoder is based on
> > ffmpeg which supports many other media formats in addition to MPEG2.
>
> Using libmpeg2 shouldn't break the playing of any non-MPEG2 formats,
> AVFormatDecoder is smart enough to revert to the standard ffmpeg
> decoder if libmpeg2 can't handle the format. libmpeg2 does wacky
> things sometimes when playing MPEG2 files, for instance it only
> partially decodes a frame if it doesn't think it has time to fully
> decode it. But on 32-bit AMD processors it does appear to be faster.

That's cool to know, and thanks for the correction. I had reckoned
that after the Internal DVD player took over from my prior Xine-bases
DVD config (without asking me), it would do the same for the other
MythVideo formats it could handle also. I obviously have some manual
configuration to do within MythVideo to get ffmpeg up and running with
those videos.

Cheers,
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: