[mythtv-users] System upgrade idea...comments and suggestions wanted, please?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 00:17:49 UTC 2006

On 10/14/06, Michael Freeman <mlfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was looking at my current mythfrontandbackend system and thinking about
> upgrading it when I realized that a Mac Mini Core Duo might be faster.
>
> Current:
> Athlon64 3000+
> 1 GB DDR400 RAM
> 250 GB WD SATA hard drive (for OS and Myth recordings...I never manage to
> fill it up...)
> 400 GB WD SATA hard drive (for a samba share for other things)
> pcHDTV3000 (for clear QAM...I added it 6 months after I built the machine)
> DVICO FusionHDTV 5 Lite (for over the air or clear QAM...I added it 8
> months after I built the machine)
> WinTV PVR500 (the original tuner I put in when I built the box)
>
> The system seems almost able to play back all types of HDTV smoothly...I
> can't get XVMC to work for more than 10 seconds at a time, so I don't use
> it.
> I also have a few services (samba, apache, subversion, etc) on there for
> some personal coding / other things.
>

> I want to upgrade to a dual core system with 2 GB RAM for two reasons:
> 1. Faster individual cores seems like the easiest way to make sure my HDTV
> playback is finally flawless...it actually got better from 0.18 to 0.19(haven't gone to
> 0.20 yet).
> 2. The second core ought to make it possible to run a VMWare VM or
> something similarly demanding at the same time as a Myth HDTV show.
>
> I got to thinking that a 1.83 GHz Core Duo Mac Mini with 2 GB RAM and a
> 160 GB internal drive might just be all I need.

Hmm. That would get you dual cores but each single core will be about the
same speed as the Athlon64 3000+ that you currently have.  Why not spend
$100 on a second GB of memory and $250 on a 2.4Ghz dual core processor
upgrade for your current system,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103626

John

John