[mythtv-users] Minimum front end specs.....

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 05:55:50 UTC 2006

On 10/15/06, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Chris Henderson wrote:
> > So my question is this.
> > Is a P3 600 fast enough to run a V.20 frontend with open GL?
>
> Well, here's an "it works for me" type response.  I was recently playing
> with a P3 500 set up as a front end -- an old Dell Dimension XPS T500,
> running SuSE Linux.  It seemed to work fine, at least for analog TV
> playback at 480x480.  However, two caveats:
>
> - I haven't tested it very thoroughly, just watched a few hours of TV on
> it.
> - I'm not using OpenGL
>
> My plan is to pick up a card with TV out, when I see a good deal on one,
> and use it as a remote front end for the bedroom TV.

Well i guess its better than i no. thanks for repying.
so i guess it does stand a chance, if it takes a AGP card.
But in the end i am going to get it for nothing, so i bit of playing around
wont cost me that much.

on the TV-Out front, I found this in australia.
www.jaycar.com.au and enter product no. JX4870

I think its called Grand hand view. basicly its just a vga to video/s-video
converter.
the qualitiy over just rca video is acceptable, i have not tested s-video as
i dont have a tv that supports it.
the wife thinks the quality is good enough and the price is hard to beat.
$40 AUS ( $30 on special, which ended up beaing $25 and the box was crushed)

CH