[mythtv-users] One mux, multiple channels - status?

ThomP Pontoppidan thomp3 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 21:34:55 UTC 2006

2006/10/13, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> >Why has it been stopped?
> >
> You did read the messages at the given link before asking, right?  You
> did see Isaac's comment, "Patches aren't even close to being ready for
> inclusion, please reopen when it is," (at
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1772#comment:13 ), right?  That just
> means that someone who wants the functionality needs to fix the patch
> (as suggested on the ticket and on the lists at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/226026#226026 ).

Yes, I did read the ticket, but I failed to read the thread. I will do that!

> Just a note to be helpful to those looking for information on the status
> of a ticket.  Instead of going solely by what's in the ticket, search
> the mailing list archives for the ticket number (i.e. in this case,
> #1772) to find the discussion (which doesn't belong in Trac) where the
> most useful information exists.  So, please read all of the posts at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=%231772&search_type=AND&sourceid=Mozilla-search
> to find the current status of the ticket.

Thanks for the tip:-)

> > In my case support for this would mean that
> >with two tuners I could handle the six channels I watch the most at
> >the same time!
> >
> Well, maybe.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/226516#226516 (See the
> part around "Incorrect =).")

Well, DVBstream for Windows has the ability to record/show several
channels at once from the same tuner (I have tried watching one and
recording 2 channels on the same mux with one tuner). I can see why 32
channels might bring the system down, but I'm pretty sure I've heard
about MythTV systems with more than 6 analog tuners and I don't see
why a two-tuner-six-channel scenario would be any worse if the demuxer
can handle it? If it isn't possible, I suppose you could write the
entire stream to disk and have a job handle the splitting/demuxing in
non-realtime afterwards. Even if I could only use four simultaneous
channels it would still be a great advantage.

I'm going to read all I can find about this issue and see if I can
contribute in some way to get this done.

Regards,
ThomP