[mythtv-users] Internal Video player OSD almost unreadable

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Sun Oct 15 21:50:05 UTC 2006

On Sunday 15 October 2006 3:20 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/14/06 23:30, Paul wrote:
> > I've got DPI set @ 100 x 100 using
> >      Option         "DPI"   "100 x 100"
> >
> > But the OSD font is still "out-of-focus" note the normal TV recordings
> > the OSD is good just MythTV is poor output . I've looked at a few Xvid
> > and DivX and some its ok and some it isn't.
> > Would this condition be something to do with resolution or encoding etc..
>
> OK, before, I thought you were saying your fonts are the wrong size.
> Now it sounds like you're saying they're the right size, but they look
> ugly.  If so, it's almost definitely a problem caused by your not having
> the font specified by your OSD theme installed on your system.

The OSD is drawn at video resolution.  So, when playing low resolution video
files, as this guy is (548x244, as earlier in this thread), you get a low
resolution, bad looking OSD.

Furthermore, the OSD fonts completely bypass X, and are part of the myth
distribution - you can't be missing those specific font files.

Isaac