[mythtv-users] SVN Upgrade HOWTO

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 16 19:06:58 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:
> On 14/10/06, Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/14/06, Dylan Semler <dylan.semler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Upgrading should work by downloading and compiling the SVN as you did
>>> for the install.  All database schema upgrades have been taken care of
>>> automatically for me whenever I've done this.  See
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora_Core.
>>>  The author seems to do automated nightly upgrades without problems.
>> Thanks for the reply, you have begun to build my confidence to try an
>> SVN upgrade.  The key phrase is, "...taken care of automatically for
>> me whenever I've done this."!
>
> You should run mythtv-setup after upgrading - this will take care of
> the schema updates automatically. If you run from a console, you will
> see the schema updates go through as mythtv-setup starts.
>
> Remember that this is how anyone upgrading an existing MythTV install
> (either from source or binaries) gets their schema updates.

You will need to download mythtv, mythplugins and myththemes.
Shut down both backend and frontend and use find to confirm where the
programs have been placed in your existing installation. If in /usr/bin,
then the librbaries are in /usr/lib and you should use '--prefix=/urs'
when configuring the program compilation. Having two installations in
different places ( /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib ) would be a prescription
for problems.
Then configure and make each.
Ensure that ld.so.conf contains /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib as required,
otherwise your system will not find the new libraries
.'Make install' mythtv before any make install of the other portions.
Running mythtv-setup does not appear to be necessary. Starting
mythbackend and then mythfrontend will cause any required schema
upgrades to take place.

All of this can be scripted. I have a script which deletes the prior svn
version and downloads the new one. I have another script which deletes
any existing config scripts and copies new ones from my /usr/local/sbin
folder to the proper place in the svn structures, and then calls them.
They, in turn call configure, passing on the desired parameters.
Depending on what I am doing the script may or may not call 'make
install' when compiling. That depends on whether I have programs being
recorded or such, since my system takes about 75 minutes to compile. I
often leave ti to run before going to bed and then 'make install' in the
morning when nothing is being run.

Scripts available on request.

        R. Geoffrey Newbury

newbury at mandamus.org