[mythtv-users] PAL AND NTSC Supported Tuner

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Oct 16 22:27:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 14:15 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > I don't know if MythTV can convert from NTSC to PAL without hickups,
> > but PAL to NTSC is not a problem.
> Any idea how much CPU horsepower this would require? As I said
> previously this used to require a $10K device, but most of that cost
> was for the frame memory, and that much RAM is very cheap nowadays.
> I'm talking about the days when RAM came on DIP chips :-)

The scaling is done in hardware with any video card released in
the last eight years or so, so the only CPU cost is for the
deinterlacing (plus a little more work for the v-sync method),
so a few hundred Mhz for linearblend, maybe 1Ghz for kernel-deint.
Any processor you can run a frontend on comfortably should have
no problem with the PAL->NTSC conversion.

NTSC->PAL should work as well, but I've never tried it myself.

FYI A $10K device would probably do a better job, since
we don't do any interlaced->interlaced scaling, only
interlaced->progressive->interlaced scaling, which looses
some information. If the source was originally a movie
however, MythTV's PAL->NTSC should look very good and
NTSC->PAL should look good as well if you use the ivtc
deinterlacer.

-- Daniel