[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 01:06:56 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Timothy Chartier <thymus at earthling.net> wrote:
> Ok..lets see if I have all this information correct before I spend money on this project.

Good idea :)

> The 350 I was looking at is not advised as it has little support and the decoder less 150 with my 3000+ CPU is enough for me to record and play at the same time. The problems with getting MythTV to work under Linux (as found at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116633) can be avoided if I add debian-multimedia to my apt.sources and get MythTV from there via "apt-get install mythtv".

That sounds about right.

> The 20GB hard drive I have for testing (so as to not destroy my main desktop) is good to get the bugs worked out but probably will not be viable as the space required will probably be much larger then the hard drive size. The EXT3 file system is acceptable as long as I don't delete while trying to record a program and use the "save old files" after transcoding. I believe that is the term for converting from MythTV format to DivX or another format that takes up less space. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this. There is an option for slow deleting of files and keep files after transcoding that I am encouraged to set in the event I accidentally delete a program while recording another.

20GB is really pushing it even for a demo box, much less a "how do I
actually like this" box.  But, if that's all you've got, it should
work until you realize you need more, at which time it may be a bit
harder adding additional storage, but that's a hurdle for another day.
 Ext3 sucks.  Just about anything else would be better, and I think
most agree that either JFS/XFS are "the best" options.

> The instillation of the hardware is as simple as adding the 150 card to the system, putting the cover back on. Connecting the coax connector from the satellite decoder to the 150 card and the rest of the connectors get plugged in as normal. There is no need to connect the 150 card to the GeForce card as some has stated is required.

As far as simply 'installing' the card, sure just plug it into the PCI
and close the hood.  But then you've got to configure IVTV drivers for
your kernel version.  Another thing you don't seem to make evident is
whether you understand how the video gets from your Satellite receiver
to your 150 card.  The worst picture possible will come out of your RF
output (the 'Coax' cable) from your satellite box, but yes, that
*will* work for getting the video over.  Your best option is to use
(if one exists) the S-Video port on the back of your receiver into the
S-Video input on your PVR-150 card, but this also requires you run the
audio cables as well to get the audio over to.

Then...

You have to setup an IR Blaster to control your satellite receiver
from your computer.  irblaster.info has them for sale, they run from
your serial port to the front of your receiver where the IR output
from the IR blaster controls the IR receiver on your satellite
receiver.

> I think that is everything. Any other constructive comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated. I am hoping to get this to get this project underway this coming weekend.
>
> --

Hopefully that clears up the confusion a bit.

Good luck!

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com