[mythtv-users] Blue lines along left and top of screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 17 02:41:26 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06 13:37, Dan Wilga wrote:

>At 11:06 AM -0400 10/16/06, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>>I found that index 0 doesn't work well for the FX 5200. I use:
>>>
>>>  xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 2
>>>
>>>There's also an xorg.conf option in the Screen section that may affect this:
>>>
>>>  Option         "TransparentIndex" "2"
>>>
>>>(I have not verified this latter method.)
>>>

>>Really, using some number that's close to, but /not/ equal to, zero
>>is much better for /any/ video card, anyway.  (In this context, the
>>range is 0-65535, so decide what close to means to you, but 1, 2,
>>10, 30, ... would all be fine.)  Unfortunately, though, people
>>always say to use 0 for some reason...
>>

>I should mention that the way to tell if you've chosen a "bad" number
>is to play around in X while there is some video also being
>displayed. (i.e.: start playback, Alt-Tab to another app and then try
>to use it.) If the video bleeds through into parts of the app's
>windows or the mouse pointer, then you know you have the wrong
>number. It's actually kind of a neat effect, though!

Yeah.  That's why 0 is bad--0 is black, which is used in /many/
applications.  1 is "almost" black and is used in a far smaller number
of apps (mainly in gradients, so it's a much smaller portion of the app).

Set the color key to 0 and run:

xterm -bg black -fg purple

and do the alt-tab'ing thing you described for a very low-resource
transparent xterm.   Allows you to write Myth patches while watching TV.  :)

Mike