[mythtv-users] "Excellent" transcode isn't so excellent

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Oct 17 03:00:43 UTC 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Chris Ribe wrote:

> I too, have failed to get satisfactory results from the "Excellent"
> DVD rip setting.
>
> Sometimes the sound is out of sync, sometimes the motion is
> blocky/jerky, but my major problem is that the aspect ratio is always
> screwed up (probably due to anamorphic encoding on the dvd).   I've
> never used myth for movies much, but now I have a fast computer, a
> fair amount of disk space, and Netflix (well, actually, my sister in a
> non-DMCA country has the fast computer, but I visit her a couple times
> a week and always bring my disk array and my latest Netflix titles
> with me(forget Netflix anyway, most of DVD titles come from the public
> library) ).
>
> THe long and the short of it is that I'm looking to configure myth so
> that the "Excellent" DVD rip setting makes at least "fair" rips.

If you have "a fair amount of disk space", then rip to "perfect"
mode. You'll save yourself tons of time (takes me about 12 minutes
total per DVD) and get perfect playback at the expense of some extra
disk space. I know it's not the answer to the problem, but I resigned
myself to always using perfect mode and I've never had an issues
since. :)

<rant> Oh.. and regardless of what country you are in, it's illegal
to rip DVDs from either NetFlix or the public library since the DVDs
are bound to the laws of the country of origin, not where you happen
to be at the moment, so don't do it. If you like a movie enough to
watch over and over again, support the people that made by buying the
DVD so they can make more films that you like. (Not to mention the
fact that you don't even own them and trying to justify it that way.)
</rant>

-Brad