[mythtv-users] Yellow Dog 5.0 with PS3 as a front end?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:26:18 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Aaron Howard <archanoid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/17/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > DRM isn't all that bad in itself...
> > [snip]
> > > I think that encrypting video discs is a horrible idea and only
> > > goes to screw the innocent consumer in the end.
> >
> > Does. not. compute.
>
> DRM in itself isn't bad.  DRM on video discs = bad.  DRM is not
> exclusive to video discs, so it's ok to feel like I do and not have to
> take medication for it ;)
>
> -Chad

Sorry, but I disagree.  DRM in itself *IS* bad.

Piracy is bad also, but DRM doesn't stop piracy.  It only delays it.

When I got into computers in the early 80s, software came on floppies
that were copy-protected.  We didn't call it DRM yet.  One of  the
best was the original Wizardry games.  Using an obscure method on
Apple ][s called "spiral tracking," they actually wrote part of a
"contiguous" data stream on track n **-> between track n and n+1 <-**
and track n+1.  Guess what.  It was cracked.  Pirates got the game
without paying for it.  Honest souls who bought the game legally
couldn't back it up and when their floppies died they had to buy it
again, become pirates or were screwed.

DVDs have DRM.  Guess what.  DeCSS exists.  Pirates get the content
without paying for it.  Honest souls who buy software/movies legally
can't back them up or use them with open solutions (like Myth) without
(in falsely claiming to be free Amerika) becoming criminals.

BluRay will have DRM.  Guess what.  It will be cracked.  I think you
see the pattern.

DRM doesn't work.  It doesn't stop the bad guys.  It hurts your real
customers.  That makes it bad.  100%.

DISCLAIMER:  Although I live under the Amerikan regime, the only DVD
drive I own is in my laptop which runs the pre-installed Windoze XP
and all legal software.