[mythtv-users] Free preview

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Oct 18 21:05:47 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 17:27, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Mark J. Small wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > My cable provider is having a free preview of the Movie Network (Eastern
> > Canada) this weekend.  But it isn't a normal free preview where they
> > unencrypt the stream(s) temporarily.  They are creating a separate
> > channel and running a different (somewhat crummy) schedule from the real
> > feeds.  I seriously doubt that zap2it will provide program data for this
> > preview.
>
> "Somewhat crummy" doesn't define what's going on =)...
>
> > Is there any way that I can temporarily add channel one to my lineup with
> > no scheduling data.  I wouldn't mind using manual recordings to choose
> > the recording times.  The main thing is to convince mythtv that it can
> > tell my digital cable stbs that they can tune to channel 1 using my ir
> > blasters.
>
> You can run mythtv-setup and use the Channel editor to create
> a channel 1 for that video source then use Manual Record (in
> mythfrontend) to schedule recordings.
>
> Now, if the crummy(?) listings are the same as, or similar to,
> the regular channel, you could do the following instead.
>
> Add the real channel at zap2it.
>
> $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
> mysql> truncate table program;
> mysql> quit
> $ mythfilldatabase
>
> Run mythtv-setup and use the Channel editor to change the channel
> number and frequency ID to channel 1 then restart the master backend.

The schedule is different from the regular channel, so I won't be able to
remap a real channel from zap2it.  I'll have to manually create it with the
channel editor.

By "somewhat crummy", I meant that the selection of movies to be shown was
quite bad.  The prime time movies at 8:00 are "Doom", "In Her Shoes",
and "Into the Blue".  Over 2.5 days the only movies that look at all
interesting are "Lord of War," "Shopgirl," and "Beyond the Sea."

The real channel is showing "Fun with Dick and Jane," "Chicken Little," "Shrek
2," "Jarhead," "King Kong," and "Dodgeball" during the same weekend on their
#1 channel.

I read on a digital cable forum that another cable company had the same
preview last week.  They didn't even have guide data on their STB's