[mythtv-users] pcHDTV HD3000 voo doo

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Oct 18 22:03:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 14:53 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:

> > Most importantly, the analog capture done by an HD3000 is done without
> > any compression or other hardware assistance so your backend has to
> > handle the encode to disk. This is in complete distinction to the
> > hardware assist which you get with the PVR cards.
> > One of the reasons I have never bothered to even try to use analpg c
> > capture from my HD3000
> >
> and the resultant picture has a bit to be desired. I tried it with NTSC
> cable, and it didn't look good.

While it would be a lie to say HD-3000/5500 NTSC looks as good
as PVR-250 NTSC, it probably looks better now than you remember.
As of 0.20, MythTV now some hacks in to fix the default picture
settings from the awful driver defaults..

Last I checked the HD-3000/5500 NTSC driver is missing caption
support, so that is another reason you not want to use it if
you have a PVR-x50. The HD-2000 NTSC driver is pretty good though,
the HD-2000 uses a bttv chip for the analog side, which has
probably the best v4l driver available...

-- Daniel