[mythtv-users] colour "sharpness" question

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Oct 19 03:49:45 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 22:04, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2006, at 8:17 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > I am a real new with Myth, and have had almost a year's experience
> > using
> > another tuner (ATI TV All-In-Wonder) on Windows as the only "TV"
> > I've ever
> > owned in a long while. I bought a PVR-500MCE kit and a cheapo new
> > box for
> > it. I have a question about how my colours appear different on my old
> > machine vs my new machine.
> >
> > The best way I can describe the difference is that the old picture
> > looks
> > like video while the new picture looks like film. I don't know if
> > it's the
> > tuner card, or the video card, or the monitors, or some settings.
> > Since I
> > was so used to the old machine, the new one is an adjustment, and
> > since
> > I've never A/B-ed either machine with a regular TV I don't know what's
> > real.
> >
> > Can anyone give me an idea of what to look at?
>
> Not really sure what you mean. One big difference between film and
> video is that film has a vastly greater contrast ratio than CRT
> phospors or LCD/Plasma screens, but I don't think that's what you are
> talking about.
>
> Am I inferring correctly that you prefer the old device? If you are
> using too low a bitrate for MPEG-2 with the PVR you might get less
> than desirable results, but you don't mention how you were watching
> TV with the ATI.
>
> You might just be having your first experience with MPEG artifacts or
> soft pictures due to low bitrate.

Yes I think that's it. Everything is softer, and fuzzier on my new box. I
do prefer the ATI look.

With the ATI card I just used their software and never had to set anything
after scanning channels. But there's no functional recording and I wanted
to treat myself to a PVR.

Can I crank up the bitrate somewhere? I haven't fiddled with any
fine-tuning settings yet. What are the implications of a higher bitrate on
system resources?