[mythtv-users] Transcode an imported ISO file

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Oct 20 13:57:32 UTC 2006

Not sure if dvdrip is in mythtv or not.  I downloaded it as a separate
package on my debian system.  Probably not a myth utility, since it runs
in X land.

Mount your .iso image on a loopback device
(mnt -t iso9660 -oloop /path/to/image.iso /path/to/mountpoint)
Then start up dvdrip.
Under file, select New project.
Put in your project name, and under "Data source mode selection",
select "Use existing DVD image located in this directory:"
and put in /path/to/mountpoint  from above.

Go to RIP Title, and click Read DVD table of contents.
If you get a bunch of entries, then you have a good read of the .iso file.
go to Transcode, and select MPEG for "Select container". or pick
something else appropriate.  There are MANY options to play with on this
screen.  When you are ready, hit the Transcode button down below, and
go get some of your favorite beverage.

When completed, you may have to dig down through several directory
levels to find your actual .mpg file, but it's down there somewhere.

Don't let the AVI references in directory names and such fool you, if
you say you want an MPEG container, you will get an mpg file.

HTH.....