[mythtv-users] Dell GX260 P4 2.8GHz as HD front end system -- opinions?

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Fri Oct 20 17:10:25 UTC 2006

Saw this on eBay for buy it now + ship $269.90.  Seems like it would be
cheaper than building up an amd/intel box from scratch?  2 PCI + 1 AGP, so I
could add a cheap geforce 6 AGP w/ DVI out my TV plus a PCI sound card for
SPDIF out if the motherboard's outputs don't work.  Should be a complete
front end for under $350.

But is P4 2.8GHz / 256MB ram enough for good HD?  If so is it safe to drop
down to the 2.6G / 2.4G/ 2.2/ 2.0/ etc...?

Also I've never used this particular box but most dell SFF's are pretty
quiet, yes/no?

Thanks,