[mythtv-users] Toggle AC3 passthru without using mythtv setup menu

Paul Robertson paulrobertson at swbell.net
Sat Oct 21 22:35:39 UTC 2006

Is there a way to toggle AC3 passthru on and off while watching live or
recorded HDTV programs in mythtv without going into the setup menus.  I have
my SBLive24 analog output wired to the TV and the digital output to my 5.1
surround system.

My goal is to be able to do both of the following at the same time, or have
a simple way to switch between them using my remote control:

     -  analog sound to the TV,  AND

     -  passthru AC3 on digital output to my 5.1 surround system.

I use a simple script (see below) that I bind with a remote controller key
to mute / unmute the digital output with alsamixer.  If I disable AC3
passthru in mythtv setup this works well, but of course no digital 5.1
surround.    If I enable AC3 passthru, I get can get A3 passthru to my 5.1
surround system, but when I mute the digital output,  I get digital signal
over the analog output to the TV. :-(

$ cat myth_spdif_on_off.sh

#!/bin/bash

## toggel spdif output on and off ##########################

cfg="/home/mythtv/.mythtv/asound.state"

spifon=`ls -l $cfg | grep -c spdif`

rm -f $cfg

if [ $spifon -eq 1 ]

then

  # link to config file with digital output muted

  ln -s ${cfg}_analog $cfg

else

  # link to config file with digital output unmuted

  ln -s ${cfg}_spdif $cfg

fi

#make change to alsa

/usr/sbin/alsactl -f $cfg restore