[mythtv-users] read only tables

mythtv-users mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 21:56:03 UTC 2006

> On 10/22/06 16:07, mythtv-users wrote:
>
>>>I recommend using optimize_mythdb.pl (from the contrib directory of the
>>>source distribution), instead.  As it says in the comments, the
>>>recommended usage is as a daily cron job (and, in a cron job, can shave
>>>7s off the startup time for those days when you're restarting it over
>>>and over--i.e. for upgrades or whatever).
>>>

>>You shouldn't need to repair tables unless you've had a crash, if you
>> have
>>a crash you want it fixed when you reboot, _NOT_ upto 24 hours later[1]!
>>

> I reboot my system every few months (generally, the power company does
> the rebooting), not < 24 hours.  After all, "This is linux not windows!"

All the more reason to check for crashed tables on reboot!

>>Not a bad idea to run optimize_mythdb.pl daily from cron but that really
>>should be for optimisation rather than repair.
>>
>>As for restarting it over and over, what? This is linux not windows!
>>
> Which means it's well suited to development, which means that installing
> new builds of MythTV over and over for testing the code you've written
> requires restarting over and over.
>
> Even just installing a new version requires a restart of
> mythbackend/mythfrontend.

Sure, I can kind of see that from a development POV but from a _user_ POV
you want it just to work, if it doesn't you reboot and then it works, last
thing you want is the box to reboot/crash, mythbackend fails to start due
to a broken DB and then all your tv fails to record. Running a repair
script from cron will not fix that until the next boot, in start up it
will.

>> If
>>you really want that 7sec back it's dead easy to just detect an unclean
>>shutdown and only run it then but I prefer to know that the database will
>>come up cleanly.
>>
> I just prefer those 7sec happen on my computer's time, not mine (i.e.
> not when I'm watching it/waiting on it).

I'm not bothered over the tiny amount of time it takes and I used the
first option I came to in the man page but if you were to run say

/usr/bin/mysqlcheck -F --auto-repair -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

On boot it'd only check improperly closed tables and repair if needed,
takes 0.028s (on my system) if everything is good...

David