[mythtv-users] Considering HDHomeRun, is this a bad time to buy an HD-5500?

Dwayne B. dab at dab-tech.com
Tue Oct 24 04:13:47 UTC 2006

On 23:22 Mon 23 Oct     , Richard Bronosky wrote:
> How do you change channels on it?

mythbackend changes channels on the hdhomerun.  It is also possible to
change channels from the command line using a command line tool called
hdhomerun_config that is available from the support forums for the
hdhomerun.

> Does it have a protocol so that a myth backend can control it via
> ethernet (or does it need an IR blaster)?

Yup, it has a protocol to control it. It is controlled via TCP/IP, AFAIK.

> Does the thing send 2 channels of data over your network 24/7, even if
> you have no recordings scheduled?

No, it only streams data to to mythbackend from either of the tuners
when it is requested.  The data is streamed to the backend using UDP.

> Honestly, I'm amazed to hear that people are using this thing happily.
> The details are so sketchy that I'd have guessed this for vaporware.

Details may _seem_ sketchy, but I think part of that is because there is
really not a lot involved in getting one of these devices up and running
with a current svn version of myth.  No drivers to deal with, just plug
it into your network and the device can even be auto-discovered if it is
the only hdhomerun device on the network; so you don't even _need_ to
know the IP address of it.  I'm very satisfied with my mine, along with
a Avermedia A180 and a firewire connection I got four HD tuners and
loving it :)

--Dwayne