[mythtv-users] Importing Sony 'Arccos' protected dvds

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 13:20:47 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, Dom H <speedsix.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I read somewhere that regular players know where these bad sectors
> are and can skip them, how does it know this and can mtd use this method?
>
> Also, how come I can play the disc fine yet cannot rip it?

Regular players don't know where they are, but when they encounter an error
they simply skip to the next sector and keep playing.  This is, of course,
to keep up the flow of the movie, because a slight error on the screen is
better than a pause in the playback.
When you're ripping a DVD mtd will keep trying to read the sector (which it
won't be able to do), so that it doesn't miss any information.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.