[mythtv-users] Digital sound

Frank Armstrong farmstrong at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:38:02 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 10/24/06 15:55, Frank Armstrong wrote:

> you will need
> "analog-hw" and
> information

> > > There's also a section up top that has the same error. I'm
> > > assuming it's an error in the .asound and not with his email
> > > client:
> > >
> > > # - "digital" outputs to the digital output directly. Since most
> (all?)
> > > # digital outputs expect 48kHz PCM audio, this may not work for some
> playback
> > > # (i.e. CD's--which are 44.1kHz PCM audio--or 32kHz audio streams from
> > > TV
> > > # recordings, etc.).
> > > # - "mixed-digital"
> > >
> > > the TV should have a # in front otherwise .sound will not work
> > > correctly. I had the same problem with copying my entire
> > > asound.conf into vi using SHIFT+INSERT. It would miss the first #
> > > sign on the first line and get screwy.
> >

> >  Even with those errors corrected...i still get no sound.
> >

> I wasn't asking about the line breaks--I assumed that was because of
> your e-mail client.  If that's not the case, you really need to ensure
> the file is exactly as shown in the wiki.
>
> I was asking if you did what the comments said to do--i.e. define the
> appropriate card and device information for the "analog-hw" and
> "digital-hw" devices.  (Using that ALSA configuration file takes more
> than just copy/paste--you have to read the comments--i.e.
> instructions--too.)
>
> Mike

well that's where i run into problems...this is what i have for aplay -l

card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 -
IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

both are card 0...so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to change...should i add
Device 2 under card 0 so it knows which one to go with?