[mythtv-users] Digital sound

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 25 22:00:57 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06 16:49, Frank Armstrong wrote:

>  On 10/25/06, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> well that's where i run into problems...this is what i have for
> >> aplay -l

> >> both are card 0...so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to
> >> change...should i add Device 2 under card 0 so it knows which one
> >> to go with?
> >
> > In the section "# Alias for digital (S/PDIF) output on the card"
> > you need to ensure the S/DPIF device is device #2 (from your aplay
> > output).
> >
> > The default if you have not edited the file will use device #1,
> > which is why you are not getting successful output.
>
>  I guess i'm getting there...did that, so now i get output via spdif
>  if i select the file and play with xine...but i only get sound out of
>  my TV if i play a tv show or movie via myth. is something not
>  configured correctly in myth setup??

Please read the comments in the wiki (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#Setting_up_ALSA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly
) and in the ALSA configuration file itself that explain how to set a
default output device or specify the desired output device in Myth.

Again, "Using that ALSA configuration file takes more than just
copy/paste--you have to read the comments--i.e. instructions--too."

Also note just below the ALSA configuration file on the wiki, "For a
detailed description of how this ALSA configuration file works, see this
post < http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/61265#61265 >
from the mailing list."

/me wonders why reading this list after someone re-writes the
instructions in the wiki/comments is easier than just reading the
wiki/comments...

If you hadn't yet found the page in the Wiki (i.e. you got the ALSA
configuration file from some other post and they didn't refer back to
its location on the wiki), I apologize for the RTFM comments.

Mike