[mythtv-users] [OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 26 13:55:02 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06 09:17, Dan Wilga wrote:

>At 10:59 PM -0400 10/25/06, Maverick wrote:
>

>>Here's the real question and motivation to keep it off. Dish tells me
>>it has to be off (at night?) to receive the "updates". Is it important
>>to get these updates? My dish box is always on, has been for like 10
>>months.
>>

>For what it's worth, I almost never turn my receivers off, and they
>*do* get the updates. I think what happens is that they get
>downloaded regardless of the power state, and if you eventually turn
>the box off the update is then installed and becomes active.
>
>This is how they added an annoying screen saver (what they call
>"automatic power off") option that I had to go in and disable.

I think the main reason they want you to turn it off overnight is to
allow your receiver to phone home and upload your pay-per-view purchases
so they can charge you as soon as possible.

However, I will admit that I have to reboot my receivers at least once
every 45 days or so or it outputs a bad signal (using S-Video).  Funny
thing is that my Myth box will run fine for longer than that without
rebooting.

Mike