[mythtv-users] Mult-system design

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Oct 26 17:32:03 UTC 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Rich West wrote:

> I apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I am
> looking
> for some current/up-to-date input.
>
> Background:
> I have successfully gotten MythTV up and running on one system.  It is
> both the backend and the front end.  I moved the MySQL database off of
> this system and on to a central server in the house (it performs a
> number of other duties and is backed up nightly).  Music & Photos are
> NFS mounted off of the same central server.
>
> Goal:
> To have multiple MythTV systems (2, maybe three), one for each
> television, with each system having access to the same store of
> recordings.  In other words, if System1 records a television show,
> and,
> later in the day, we're sitting at System2, we can watch the show that
> System1 recorded.  For that matter, if we were sitting at System1, we
> could also watch that show.  This is sort of a long range goal
> seeing as
> I just got the first system up. :)  All systems will have recording
> capability.  My hope is to have one system (my backup server) be the
> primary data storage location (with lots of disk space) for Videos and
> recordings.
>
> So.. here's my question: what is the best way to get to the goal?  I
> realize that only one system should be updating the guide data
> (mythfilldatabase).  I would have the central server perform this
> task,
> but I'm not sure just how easy that would be to do.  Besides, it
> probably isn't worth the effort.  Should I just NFS mount the "video"
> directory directory off of the main server?  This would probably be
> fine
> for imported DVD's (Movies), but will it be ok for scheduled
> recordings?

It sounds like you're talking about 1 master backend which functions
as a frontend as well as other frontends elsewhere in the house. All
you need to do is make sure your hostnames are static so your
frontends always know where to find your backend. When you set up the
frontend on a machine, just point to the same MySQL instance that
your backend is using. NFS mount your videos, photos, music, etc. to
the same location on all your machines. No need to mount the recorded
programs since these will stream from the backend when selected.

If you're talking about multiple backends around the house all
recording different stuff, you need to set one up as a master backend
and the others as slave backends. It's actually quite easy to do. In
this case, you will want to NFS mount your recorded program directory
on every machine so you can record, comm flag, transcode, etc. in a
central location.