[mythtv-users] Running MythTV on Tivo Series 1 hardware

Michael Wisniewski wiz561 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 13:13:06 UTC 2006

I had a Series 2 Tivo, and besides the Tivo stuff, it's pretty much
useless.

I don't know the technical terms for this, but I looked into trying to make
it run myth and a different flavor of linux.  It turns out that you can't
because of the propriety drivers for the tv in and out.

You could check around on some tivo hacking message boards, but last time I
checked, they pretty much said that it can't be done.

Good Luck!

On 10/26/06, Remco Treffkorn <remco at rvt.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 October 2006 16:28, petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
> > Is it possible to load MythTV on Tivo Series 1 hardware... specifically
> > Philips PTV300/HDR312?
> >
> > I just replaced my old Series 1 with a Series 3 and don't want to pay
> for
> > service on the Series 1, so it's probably going to sit and gather dust
> > unless I can use it for something.  I'd like to have a more generic
> "Media
> > Player" mainly for videos... most of them .avi files.  Although using it
> > as a secondary (free) PVR would be a big plus.
>
> It's a 50MHz PowerPC.
> It only works because of the mpeg hardware codec.
> I'd say: No.
>
> Maybe reusing the case?
>
> --
> Remco Treffkorn (RT445)