[mythtv-users] Running MythTV on Tivo Series 1 hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 27 14:24:01 UTC 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 7:13 AM, Michael Wisniewski wrote:

> I had a Series 2 Tivo, and besides the Tivo stuff, it's pretty much
> useless.
>
> I don't know the technical terms for this, but I looked into trying
> to make it run myth and a different flavor of linux.  It turns out
> that you can't because of the propriety drivers for the tv in and out.
>
> You could check around on some tivo hacking message boards, but
> last time I checked, they pretty much said that it can't be done.

Agreed. I've been down that road myself. Pull out the HDD as it's the
only useful thing in the box and is worth more than you could get for
the machine on EBay even though small hard drives are pretty cheap
these days. It's big enough to hold an OS for a PC build.

I suppose you might be able to use the remote as well, you could
record it's codes or get them from somewhere. It's a nice form factor
remote IMHO as it feels good in the hand.