[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR* MCE Kit - how current is

Matthew Piggott mrjpiggott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 22:48:47 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org <
mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:47:40 -0400
> From: Ed Gatzke <gatzke at sc.edu>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR* MCE Kit - how current is
>         the remote control?
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> /
> >I have that kit. The remote is fine - there is a sample lircrc config for
> >it in the lircrc tree that you have to install anyway. I redefined a
> >couple buttons to my taste, and the sample file suggests some Myth key
> >changes which I also did. I had to redefine the Myth definition for Mute
> >to use '|' instead of F9 because Myth won't recognize my F9 key. Just
> last
> >night I redefind the Windows button to bring up the EPG menu. I do find
> it
> >a bit large and gratuitously rounded for where I like to keep it on my
> >desk, but that's a quibble.
>

> Could you post or email links and instructions on how to set up this
> remote?
> I used the MCE USB setting in knoppmyth and it sorta works, but not all
> buttons are active.
>

> As for quality of the PVR 500 card with Samsung tuners, did you patch your
> kernel?  It is almost adequate after the patch.
>
> I do have seg faults when PIPing two SD feeds though, not the card's
> fault.
>
> To patch (From
> http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11871&highlight=  )
>

> cd ~
> wget http://www.madslab.com/pvr500_samsung_patch_2.6.17.diff
> cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/media/video/
> patch -p0 < /root/pvr500_samsung_patch_2.6.17.diff
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make ; make modules_install
> rmmod ivtv ; rmmod tuner
> modprobe tuner ; modprobe ivtv

I also have the same remote, this is a copy of my file:
http://mythtv.mrjpiggott.net/lircrc  (it lives in ~/.mythtv/lircrc) most
buttons should do what you would expect.  Note that I only have a single
tuner in my system so I don't have anything setup for PiP, tuner switch etc.

For the original person, as I understand it the MCE remote is a
specification and that there are different implementations of it.  Some
models are apparently 'learning' remotes for which power, volume and mute
can be learned from other remotes; however you could use the IR blaster.