[mythtv-users] Distro

Leo Kliger lkliger at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 28 00:36:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 09:18 -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Wondering which distro is giving people the least frustrations. I
> considered doing KoppMyth, but is this something I can easily change/
> add to when required?
>
> Some background as to why I'm giving up on Fedora:
> I was running FC4 for a long time with no problem until one day LVM
> decided to trash my superblocks - yes, EVERY superblock on my disk.

Could have been a kernel issue as already suggested by somebody on the
list... Or more likely a hardware issue... I have been running an FC4
system on Intel based hardware with a combination of Software RAID and
LVM without issue for nearly 18 months...

And, I just just tossed some Dual Core AMD based hardware into a charity
box after issues similar to what you described after running FC4 (32 and
64 bit), FC5 (32 and 64 bit) as well as trying Ubuntu Breezy (Current at
the time and yes, both 32 and 64 bit)...

As someone else said - when it comes to picking a Distro and MythTV -
sticking with what you know is usually best.

> All that work is now gone. So I tried FC5 on a new disk. Ran into
> dependencies that couldn't be resolved. bind conflicted with some
> other package and kept trying to re-download the 600MB of packages
> every time I tried. After the 4th time of adding/removing packages to
> solve dependencies, I gave up.

That's a shame. I had this very issue a little while ago when I
installed FC5... The solution is as follows:-

First, edit the /etc/yum.conf file to keep cache.

keepcache=1

Second, when the update fails then do the following as root:-

# cd /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/
# rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps bind-libs-9.3.3-0.1.rc2.fc5.x86_64.rpm

You should now be able you rerun "yum -y update" and the packages will
from your saved cache will be used.

>  Then I couldn't get nvidia driver to
> load. No idea why. I was too frustrated to find out.

Perhaps when you are a little calmer (assuming you try again) you will
figure it out or seek help before giving up.

>  So I go back to
> FC4 and haven't been able to get yum upgrade to finish after 2.5 days
> of trying. 403's, 404's, parser errors. Forget it. It's not worth it.

Yeah - they were caught out with the unprecedented demand... I'd say
that's a good thing.
Anyway, it seems back to normal now and I'd doubt it'll happen again for
some time if ever.