[mythtv-users] Timeshifting on a diskless Front End?

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 28 08:22:54 UTC 2006

Hi Donald,

The thing about MythTV is that it is designed to run over networks. All the
processing is done at the mythbackend and streams all the live-tv and
recorded programs are streamed across to the frontend.
Mythvideo and music files aren't currently streamed across the myth
protocol, so you'll have to map nfs mounts for this.
Keep in mind that the backend is the machine with all the tuners in, and
frontends are generally tunerless.. unless you run the as slave backends as
well.

Do a bit of googling and you'll find a dozen or so recent mythfrontend
hardware configs.

Since your new, do you know about the gossamer searchable list archives?

It's not really in the FAQ I don't think because it's generally a given that
this kind of stuff can happen, but I can see coming from a Tivo background
might have given you a few preconceptions that you haven't been able to
throw off whilst reading the many many pages of MythTV docs.

Welcome to the club and I hope your MythTV set up works out!

Steve Daniels