[mythtv-users] Accessing MythWeb through firewall

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 06:41:00 UTC 2006

I have MythWeb installed and running on a server which sits behind my
firewall at home. There is no direct access to it from the internet
except through my linux gateway which sits between it and the
internet. The gateway box is another linux server which is running an
IP Tables firewall and has a port forwarding rule to direct traffic on
a particular port (12000) to port 80 on my MythWeb box. This works a
treat.

But...where I'm working now has most outgoing ports blocked except for
80, 443 etc, which means I can't access port 12000 on my gateway
machine so it can't forward that to my MythWeb machine.

I was wondering what suggestions people had for resolving this. I was
thinking that I could use a mod_rewrite rule on my gateway machine's
Apache config - eg if URL=http://<gateway.on.internet>/mythtv then
redirect to real MythWeb box. But when I had a quick look at this I
got the impression it wouldn't work because it sends a redirect
command back to the client.

Any suggestions, anyone (apart from getting a hole punched in my
company's firewall!)

Regards,
Phill