[mythtv-users] mythvideo, after upgrade to .20 Mythfrontend locks up when I try to watch videos, unless I launch it from an xterm manually

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Mon Oct 30 13:25:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:39:00 -0500
"David Schmidt" <david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ack!!
>
> :10s/problem/button/
>
> /me needs to make a habit of proofreading!

Well, that didn't help.  mythfrontend reports the same stuff, no errors that I could see.  I verified that irexec was running under the proper account (thought perhaps permissions were a problem).

I guess I'll just have to wait until the next version to see if it's fixed, at least I've got a wireless keyboard and easy workaround.

> On 10/27/06, David Schmidt <david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not a direct answer to your problem, but you can change your
> > power-button script to log to a file.  Change all occurences in it
> > of:
> >
> > mythfrontend
> >
> > to:
> >
> > mythfrontend >/tmp/somefile 2>&1
> >
> > Then, when you start the frontend with the problem and make the
> > problem happen, you can popup an xterm and:
> >
> > cat /tmp/somefile
> >
> > .
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > On 10/26/06, Braindead <Braindead at diablops.com> wrote:
> > > I've got my .lircrc setup to run a script when I press the power
> > > button, which launches mythfrontend (no commandline params) if
> > > it's not already running.
> > >
> > > The user I'm running as launches "irexec -d" when starting up X
> > > (should I perhaps be doing it before?)
> > >
> > > If I launch myth that way, and try to access videos it just locks
> > > up.  X is fine, I can kill the process and all.
> > >
> > > My first thought, of course, was to launch it from an xterm and
> > > see if there are any errors reported. However when I launch
> > > mythfrontend in this manner, I can access videos and watch them
> > > with no problem.
> > >
> > > This worked fine in .19
> > >
> > > I tried recompiling mythtv (all of it, running Gentoo so it's
> > > fairly simple) as well as making sure my libraries are good
> > > (revdep-rebuild for the Gentoo folks).  Everything appears fine.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions out there?
> > >
> > > tia.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Barbie says, Take quaaludes in gin and go to a disco right away!
> > > But Ken says, WOO-WOO!!  No credit at "Mr. Liquor"!!

The Angels want to wear my red shoes.
		-- E. Costello