[mythtv-users] How to continue watching buffered show when recording starts?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 16:32:56 UTC 2006

<snip>

> Live TV is there for those
> who don't yet understand (despite, in your case, having owned a
> ReplayTV) that the beauty of using a digital video-recording system is
> the decoupling of the act of watching a program from when it's on.

<snip>

I'm sorry, but when you say, "that the beauty of using a digital
video-recording system is the decoupling of the act of watching a program
from when it's on", I think that you're referring to a VCR.

A DVR/PVR (like TiVo), allows for you to watch live television and
(optionally) pause or rewind back into the buffer, as well as fast forward
within the buffer.  Unfortunately, due to limitations in the LiveTV
implementation, I effectively end up using MythTV as a digital MPEG-2 VCR.

If I recall the original thread details, the pause button was pressed
while watching a show, and then after that show was over the tuner became
unavailable (recording another show), so the current LiveTV session bombed
out.  I see that as a logic bug in MythTV, because even though the show
was paused, it should have continued to record, so that the playback could
be finished later.  Pressing the pause button (or rewind) should probably
have automatically triggered the show to be recorded.

Of course, this does make plenty of assumptions (is there enough free disk
space?  Did the tuner have to be changed to another channel while show was
recording?).

In general, I tend to use LiveTV a lot during baseball season - if I miss
a few minutes, it doesn't kill me, because I can always rewind back if
necessary.  Generally though, I don't bother to rewind it, although I
might pause every now and then for bathroom breaks.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com