[mythtv-users] DVD playback problems

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Mon Oct 30 17:26:42 UTC 2006

George,

George Nassas wrote:
> This explains the log messages about not being able to read the dvd,
> I assumed it was having trouble parsing the dvd's structure.

Many apologies!

> On debian the dvd drive is usually owned by user root and group cdrom
> with rw permissions for owner and group and no access for others. If
> you add piers to the cdrom group you should be able to watch videos
> from that account too. The command is "addgroup piers cdrom" and you
> have to be root to do this. You can double-check the ownership with
> "ls -l /misc/cd" and, of course, adjust the addgroup if necessary.

Hmmm.

hinata:/home/piers# addgroup piers cdrom
The user `piers' is already a member of `cdrom'.
hinata:/home/piers# ls -l /misc/cd
total 4
dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 2048 2004-09-08 06:30 audio_ts
dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 2048 2004-09-08 08:12 video_ts
hinata:/home/piers#
hinata:/home/piers# cd /misc/
hinata:/misc# ls -l
total 2
dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root 2048 2004-09-08 06:30 cd
hinata:/misc#

So the problem here seems to be that the directory is part of the 'root'
group, not the 'cdrom' group.  If I unmount the CD drive, the /misc/cd
directory vanishes.  I checked my email server and it has the CD drive
in /media/cdrom and is owned by root and group is set to root.

How can I fix this problem please?

Thank you very much for your help again.

Cheers - Piers