[mythtv-users] 1080p without XVMC - MPG and AVI support

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Mon Oct 30 19:07:17 UTC 2006

> I don't know if the XP will be able to handle 1080p content, 1080i perhaps.
>
> with or without XvMC, the video card won't make much difference in
> your computer's ability to playback 1080 content, though depending on
> the make of the card, some 5200's (mostly due to cheap video memory)
> won't do well in displaying it at 1080p output, though 1080i should be
> ok. The 6xxx series does handle DVI output better, especially for
> 1080p, and the cheaper cards seem to have relatively better video
> memory, though I'd still spend a few extra $$ to get one with
> better/faster video memory.

It handles 1080i and 720p fine.  With XVMC it only uses about 50% CPU,
without, it uses about 80-90%.  As fro the chip not being fast enough, I'm
a bit confused, is a Sempron 64 3400+ (what I'm looking at getting)
significantly faster than an Athlon XP 3200+?  I'm looking at scores that
people have reported using SuperPI (tests CPU speed), and they have scores
that match for fastest runs.  Granted these are people overclocking, too,
but I can run my XP2500+ at 3200+ speeds all day long no issues.

Athlon XP 2500+
http://www.hwbot.org/quickSearch.do?hardwareId=CPU_231

Sempron 64 3400+
http://www.hwbot.org/ResultBrowseByProcessor.do?cpuModelId=885