[mythtv-users] MythStream woes...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 15:45:15 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/06 12:30, Steven Adeff wrote:
>
> >I finally got it installed, and it looks to run fine. EXCEPT... I
> >can't figure out how to add my own "Storage Repository", nor can I add
> >a stream to one of the existing "Storage Repository"'s. When I click
> >add it just sits there, no stream is added.
> >
> >anyone have any idea how to do either of these things?
> >

> An idea, but it's been a long time.  The UI (User Interface) is not very
> UI (User-Intuitive), IIRC.  (This doesn't mean I have any ideas for how
> to make it better--just that it took me a while to figure out.)
>
> OK, let me go look and see...
>
> In the Internet Radio Settings, you go to Storages.  Because it's a
> "complex" UI compared to most of Myth, the normal keys won't let you do
> everything.  I think you have to hit Tab (at least, I couldn't find
> another key that worked) to get to the button to create a new storage (I
> /highly/ recommend DB storage).  Space selects the button (but Enter
> won't).  At this point you're moved over to the right of the screen
> where you can type in the info about the new storage.
>
> For adding streams, it's completely opposite.  Instead of hitting a
> button to be allowed to enter new details, you enter new details and
> then hit a button to save (or "Add") the information.  You have to be on
> the folder to which you want to add the stream, then hit Tab to go to
> the right of the screen, and type in the information about the new
> stream and select Add to save the info.  Note that this probably won't
> work if you don't first set up storage.
>
> Basically, in the end, it turns out to be well worth the effort of using
> a keyboard (even if that means "borrowing" one from another system).

Yes, this is what I found. I borrowed a keyboard from another system.
I think the major difficulty is in having to type in URLs. Not that
you couldn't make the MythStream UI use a few buttons beyond the
directionals to accomplish the same thing.
It would also be nice to be able to set things like the cache and
visualization as well. I do like the way the playback interface works,
even though it requires WAY too much CPU...

Now I need to look into scheduled stream recording.

Its a neat plugin though, its too bad it requires mplayer, switching
it to use the internal player in MythMusic would be great.
--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!