No subject

Mon Oct 30 22:48:16 UTC 2006

quality.  Apparently, those 500's are kind of picky.  Having 2
separate tuners generally work fine if a single one works.

> Ideally, I don't want the case to be too big.  It would be nice to have it
> resemble a receiver or something of the sort, so that it would fit in an
> entertainment center.  Of course, a micro-atx case would limit me as far as
> internal HDDs go, and I also don't know what components would be compatible
> with micro-atx, like tv tuners.

Basically, that depends entirely on which case you choose.  One of the
real niceties of Myth is the ability to customize.  If you find that a
FE/BE (frontend/backend) combo is too large/loud, you can simply move
your box w/ all the storage into another room and build a FE to sit
under your TV.

Personally, I like the looks of
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004

It was about 1" too tall for me, but when I replace my TV stand, I'll
pick one up for my FE.

It's apparently got 3 internal 3.5" drive bays, but I'd imagine it'd
get _really_ hot in there.

> Since it would be really close to my tv, I don't want it to be loud, but it
> doesn't have to be extremely silent either.  I could live with a little
> noise.

Another point to keep in mind.  In general, the more HDs you have in a
system, the warmer it'll be, so you'll need more cooling, making the
system louder.  I've used Zalman fans in the past, and they're pretty
quiet in general.

--PhillW