[mythtv-users] Database filled up first partition

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 1 15:32:50 UTC 2006

On 09/01/06 08:31, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

> Hi, I went away for a couple weeks and turned on logging into the
> database.  I come back and I can't get into my mythtv machine.  So I
> rebooted it and ssh into it.  The first partition is completely full.
> It's only 5.5gig 's just for the operating system.  Is there anyway to
> turn off logging and then remove those entries from the database so i
> can shrink it's size again.  My only linux experience has been really
> with Mythtv.  I can do some things.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Also, is there a way to move the database and it's path to where i
> store my video's?  Because i have 900gigs for video's.

By default, Myth should only keep 100 entries per module in the
database.  My system uses database logging and my mythlog table is tiny:

-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql 65828 Sep  1 11:19 mythlog.MYD
-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql 10240 Sep  1 11:19 mythlog.MYI
-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql  8770 Jul 14 19:42 mythlog.frm

(As you can see it's been using this for more than 30 days--as evidenced
by the Jul 14 day on one of the files.)  I'm also running Myth with the
default logging level.

I would think it's far more likely that you've filled up your partition
due to using Gentoo or another distribution that enables logging of all
queries.  The next version of the MythTV HOWTO will contain this paragraph:
If you install MySQL 4.x, rather than 3.x, you will also want to
commentout "log-bin" in you /etc/mysql/my.cnf configuration file. This
option will quickly fill your "/var" disk partition with many of
gigabytes of data, unless you are doing database replication and
deleting these files regularly.

Note, though, that you may also want to enable "Automatic Log Cleaning
Enabled" to allow Myth to automatically delete unacknowledged log
entries (by default after 30 days) and acknowledged log entries (by
default after 14 days).

Mike