[mythtv-users] Database filled up first partition

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 1 22:48:19 UTC 2006

On 09/01/06 18:30, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

>  On 9/1/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

> > On 09/01/06 08:31, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I went away for a couple weeks and turned on logging into the
> >> database. I come back and I can't get into my mythtv machine.
> >> So I rebooted it and ssh into it. The first partition is
> >> completely full. It's only 5.5gig 's just for the operating
> >> system. Is there anyway to turn off logging and then remove
> >> those entries from the database so i can shrink it's size again.
> >> My only linux experience has been really with Mythtv. I can do
> >> some things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Also, is there a way to move the database and it's path to where
> >> i store my video's? Because i have 900gigs for video's.
> >

> > By default, Myth should only keep 100 entries per module in the
> > database. My system uses database logging and my mythlog table is
> > tiny:
> >
> > -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 65828 Sep 1 11:19 mythlog.MYD
> > -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 10240 Sep 1 11:19 mythlog.MYI
> > -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 8770 Jul 14 19:42 mythlog.frm
>
>  Where do i find this entry to check my sizes?

Where do you (or where does your packager) have your database configured
to store its files?  /var/lib/mysql ?

> > I'm also running Myth with the default logging level.
>
>  Ok i think i checked something extra. So not completely sure.
>  Basically i want to remove those entries to make it smaller.

You mean you're starting mythbackend with something like

mythbackend -v all

Otherwise, you're using the default log level.

> > I would think it's far more likely that you've filled up your
> > partition due to using Gentoo or another distribution that enables
> > logging of all queries. The next version of the MythTV HOWTO will
> > contain this paragraph:
> > If you install MySQL 4.x, rather than 3.x, you will
> > also want to commentout "log-bin" in you /etc/mysql/my.cnf
> > configuration file. This option will quickly fill your "/var" disk
> > partition with many of gigabytes of data, unless you are doing
> > database replication and deleting these files regularly.
>
>  Ok i'm at work but when i get home i'll check that configuration
>  file. The thing is i've had my mythtv box up for months and months,
>  and only recently checked that log events into the myth database.
>  Really don't know why, i thought i had a gliche but it never happened
>  again and i forgot to uncheck tghat. This was about a month ago.
>
> > Note, though, that you may also want to enable "Automatic Log
> > Cleaning Enabled" to allow Myth to automatically delete
> > unacknowledged log entries (by default after 30 days) and
> > acknowledged log entries (by default after 14 days).
>
>  Where do i select this?

In the same place you selected logging to the database.  In frontend
settings under General on the main general settings page.

Note, though, that the point is that logging Myth events to the database
does /not/ consume a great deal of space on your hard drive.  Something
else filled up your partition.

Mike