[mythtv-users] USB DVD Player

david.barkman at cox.net david.barkman at cox.net
Sat Sep 2 04:34:23 UTC 2006

---- David Barkman <david.barkman at cox.net> wrote:
> Hey guys. I'm setting up my myth box and want to use an external USB
> DVD player for playing and ripping movies. If I go to the DVD menus, I
> can start a movie, I'm using Xine, and it plays fine, but I can't get the
> thing to autoplay a movie

Ok, finally got it to work, wew, I thought I'd never get this thing setup.  For the archive here are the settings I tweeked:

/etc/fstab entries:
/dev/scd0       /media/dvdrecorder      udf             ro,user,auto    0 0
/dev/hdd        /media/dvdrom           udf             ro,user,auto    0 0

(if you remove "managed" from the options, HAL wont change the entry)

[root at cobra dev]# ll dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 Sep  1 21:11 dvd -> /dev/dvd1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4 Sep  1 14:10 dvd1 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4 Sep  1 14:10 dvdwriter -> scd0

[root at cobra dev]# ll /dev/scd0
brw-------  1 mythtv disk 11, 0 Sep  1 14:10 /dev/scd0
[root at cobra dev]# ll /dev/hdd
brw-------  1 mythtv disk 22, 64 Sep  1 14:10 /dev/hdd

/etc/auto.misc:
dvdrom          -fstype=udf,ro,user,auto        :/dev/hdd
dvdrecorder     -fstype=udf,ro,user,auto        :/dev/scd0

[root at cobra dev]# chkconfig --list | grep auto
autofs          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

In MythTV, monitor option checked and dvd device = /dev/scd0

So to answer my own question, USB DVDs work fine.  I did read that the USB needs to be 2.0.

Almost done with the myth box now.  Thanks to everyone for contributing to this list and to Jarod Wilson for such a great HowTo.

David