[mythtv-users] HDTV playback specs?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 23:44:53 UTC 2006

On 9/2/06, Matt Goebel <matt at goebelnet.com> wrote:
> I've just upgraded to an HDTV DCT6200 cable box from my cable company.
> Using firewire and MythTV's built in DCT6200 support I'm able to
> watch/record all my HDTV channels, premium (HBO/Showtime/Etc) and
> otherwise, as well as all the regular SD and digital channels.  The
> problem.. while HDTV playback is *almost* smooth it still shudders, gets
> out of sync with audio, and sometimes there is that "snowy" pixel
> effect.  It not that bag, but even a little makes things annoying.  Here
> are my system specs:
>
> AMD 64 2000+
> 1GB PC2100
> DFI nForce 2 based motherboard
> NVidia FX5200 /w 128MB (AGP)
> Generic firewire card (NEC chipset)
> Onboard gigabit NIC - (100Mb connected but could be 1Gb, don't see a
> point since SD recording only used 5Mb/s per tuner, even if HDTV is 10x
> that... ???)
> 80GB ATA/133 drive (all recording on a NFS 4 network share.)
>
> All this system does is MythTV.
>
> Watching HDTV my CPU usage runs anywhere from 35% to 85%.  The norm is
> ~75%.  Memory and disk i/o is almost nill.  This is with XvMC enabled,
> Bob2x deinterlacing, frontend running with root privileges.   I've also
> set the nvidia options in xorg.conf :
>
> Option "RenderAccel" "1"
> Option "NVAGP" "1"
> Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
>
> Recording HDTV /w out playback I see 3% CPU usage.  Watching HDTV from
> my much faster master backend is flawless.
>

> So given all this what has been people's experience?  Can I get
> completely smooth playback with these specs somehow?  An option I am
> missing etc?   If not what's the most worthwhile  part to upgrade?
>
> I have a couple ideas:
> 1. Replace my FX5200 /w a fanless 6200 with 256MB ~$50 (enough of an
> upgrade?)
> 2. Replace with a fast Socket A CPU ~$100 (enough?)
> 3. Both 1 and 2
> 4. Use a first gen Nforce 4 board I have laying around (Socket 939)  and
> buy an ~ AMD 64 3200+, 1-2GB PC3200 DDR.. all new PCIe 6200 - ~$$$
>
> I'd prefer not spend all that much since all I want is a MythTV frontend.
>
> Suggestions?

I had a combined front and backend running on a 3200+ able to playback
1080i without XvMC without problem.  I now have a standalone frontend
running on a 3200+ (a different mobo/graphics card) without issue.

If you want to go without XvMC, get a 3200+ cpu and put it in your
motherboard. The 5200 will be all you need either way (unless you plan
on getting a 1080p tv). RAM won't help, and AGP vs PCIe is irrelevant.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!