[mythtv-users] Myth TV Recording from DISH TV or Set Top Cable Box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 5 16:03:58 UTC 2006

On Sep 5, 2006, at 1:49 AM, Vamshi Reddy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Current Setup is:
>
> PVR 150
> Suse Linux 10.0
> MythTV
> DISH TV/Set Top Cable Box.
>
> Problem: I am able to watch live TV, and also record programs. The
> problem is that when I am using a SETTOP CABLE BOX or DISH TV, Myth
> TV is tuned into channel 3, and it would only record programs that
> are coming on channel 3.
>
> When I do a scan channels in myth tv setup, it seems to find all
> the channels, but why is that it is tuned only into channel 3.
>
> How do I make it to work so that I can record with any channel
> number, other than tuning to channel 3 and changing to the channel
> I would like to record.
>
> Please let me know if more information is required.

You need to control your DISH receiver using an IR blaster of some
type. You could then use the channel 3 output of the receiver, but it
would be better to use the baseband A/V outputs. You have to specify
the channel changing script in your setup.

Some DirecTV receivers can be controlled by serial port, but I am not
aware of any DISH receiver that can be controlled by anything other
than IR.

You *could* set the channel manually, but Myth expects a script that
returns true, so most folks simply use something like /bin/true as a
fake script in the setup if they want to do something like that.