[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup woes

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Sep 5 23:21:08 UTC 2006

Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am trying to setup a mythtv backend on a box without a display.  Of
> consquence, I can only SSH into it.
>
> by doing an ssh -X, I can get an X channel through, which then allows me to
> run mythtv-setup onto my local x display.
>
> But this causes some problems/questions
>
> a) is there anyway to prevent it running full screen

use the -geometry 640x480 option at startup (or whatever size you want).

> b) I loose the mouse and have to rely soley on the keyboard.  Is that to be
> expected?

Yes.

> c) how, with a keyboard, do you make the drop down lists drop down?

?? tab?  Left/Right arrow?  I don't remember this being a problem....
and that's how I access my backend.

Alternatively, if you want to run X on the backend, enable XDMCP in gdm
and then use

X -query ip.of.back.end

and you should get a full X session.

--Yan