[mythtv-users] How do you transcode?

Graeme Wilford gwilford at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 10:50:41 UTC 2006

I think this is simple but I haven't had success yet...

I'm trying to resize and transcode PAL mpeg2 to mpeg4 but the results
show terrible combing artifacts. I've tried various combinations of
DCT/MV options in the mythtranscode config screen to no avail. If you
have this working, can you give me your recipe? Perhaps you do this
with a user job instead?

Input:
~10Mbit 720x576 MPEG2 (PAL, 50Hz, interlaced) via PVR350 svideo-in
from cable STB.

Desired Output:
~2.2Mbit 600x480 MPEG4, preferrably de-interlaced before scaling

I'm currently using bob or kerneldeint to de-interlace content for
progressive display via VGA-out 856x480@ 50Hz. Content that hasn't
been transcoded looks great. I'm not too fussy about the transcoded
format as long as it looks good. Myth v0.19-fixes.

Cheers,
Wilf.
--
Me at google | MythTV blog: http://mezzanines.blogspot.com/