[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Sep 6 18:53:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:49:19AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
>  I hope that noone would renege on their donation to the bounty,
> but I think that is the fear Isaac and perhaps other dev's have with
> the bounty concept.

That's not the impression I got.  On the one hand Isaac said that
he doesn't want to put a lot of work into writing bountied code
only to not get paid, but on the other hand he's also said that he
simply has no desire to make any money from Myth.  Dean inferred
that the reason MythTV isn't a professionally-managed project like
Apache or Asterisk is because the application lacks commercial
demand and the devs are happy to keep it rolling along as just a
hobby.  At the moment, Isaac is omnipotent and doesn't have to
debate design with us, doesn't have to follow any schedule, doesn't
have to accept patches from anyone, and doesn't have to fix any
bugs that don't affect him personally because Myth is untimately
still just a "I wrote some neat code and you can use it if you
want" kind of project.

This all adds up to "don't tell me what to write".

It's too bad that Isaac isn't interested in making MythTV into the
next Asterisk, but that's entirely within his rights.  If people
want design committees, scheduled development, financial backing,
etc. then they're just going to have to fork the project and do it
themselves.  That's what freedom #3 of the GPL is all about.