[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 20:33:57 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:49:19AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> >  I hope that noone would renege on their donation to the bounty,
> > but I think that is the fear Isaac and perhaps other dev's have with
> > the bounty concept.
>
> That's not the impression I got.  On the one hand Isaac said that
> he doesn't want to put a lot of work into writing bountied code
> only to not get paid, but on the other hand he's also said that he
> simply has no desire to make any money from Myth.  Dean inferred
> that the reason MythTV isn't a professionally-managed project like
> Apache or Asterisk is because the application lacks commercial
> demand and the devs are happy to keep it rolling along as just a
> hobby.  At the moment, Isaac is omnipotent and doesn't have to
> debate design with us, doesn't have to follow any schedule, doesn't
> have to accept patches from anyone, and doesn't have to fix any
> bugs that don't affect him personally because Myth is untimately
> still just a "I wrote some neat code and you can use it if you
> want" kind of project.
>
> This all adds up to "don't tell me what to write".
>
> It's too bad that Isaac isn't interested in making MythTV into the
> next Asterisk, but that's entirely within his rights.  If people
> want design committees, scheduled development, financial backing,
> etc. then they're just going to have to fork the project and do it
> themselves.  That's what freedom #3 of the GPL is all about.

https://www.fundable.org/
solves the renege problem from what I can tell.

I also think Isaac and the main developers have enough on their plate
with the normal MythTV stuff to not bother with things that users
would place a bounty on. I think the Bounty would be more open to
people (University students) looking to do some open source coding and
make some money at it as well.

Obviously one of the requirements of the Bounty would have to be that
the code gets accepted into the project.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!