[mythtv-users] File system setup

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 22:18:48 UTC 2006

On 06/09/06, Chris McCuller <cpmccull at valdosta.edu> wrote:
> I figure I can use MythBurn to archive what I really want to DVD, and if
> lose the rest, no biggie, so redundancy isn't an important factor for me.
>
> I've read that JFS and XFS are the two best filesystems to use for video
> storage...the MythWiki stated that they both run about the same, with
> XFS taking up more CPU cycles than JFS.
>
> with an Athlon64 3000+ and 1GB of RAM, any advantages or disadvantages
> to going with XFS over JFS?

I used to use XFS for my recordings drives, and in the last year moved
over to JFS when I built a new master backend/frontend (Athlon64/SATA)
and slave backend/frontend (CeleronD/SATA). I haven't experienced
problems with either, and have not noticed any (subjective)
differences in file deletion speeds between the two. Running FC4
2.6.16 without LVM.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: