[mythtv-users] Watching TV through a frontend - how is it supposed to work?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 22:45:25 UTC 2006

On 06/09/06, Alan Chandler <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> I have now got a backend and frontend installed on different machines.
>
> The menus etc seem to work, and I think I am talking to the backend, because I
> can get an (albeit empty) program guide for the channels I have set up.

I'd make sure you really are talking to the backend first (you likely
are if the frontend starts without complaining - if you're ssh'ing
into the backend, monitor the backends log file and watch out for
client connections from the frontend machine, like

2006-09-06 21:25:15.360 adding: client.home as a client (events: 0)

Secondly, does running mythtv-setup on the backend show your video
source connected to the appropriate capture card input (Input
Connections) and does the video source have channels associated with
it? Is the startchan for the input correct?

Do you have any program listings in the database yet?

Is there a backend process running on the frontend machine?

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/